Friday, June 10, 2011

Photos From the Week

With a full week of good weather things lined up nicely to acquire some quality saddle time.  Although I was "Riding and Thinking," rather than post any particular thoughts I decided to share a few photos from the week. Nothing earth shattering just some doodling with the camera.

The one above is the oil cooler radiator vents.  After doing the brakes last Saturday I washed and waxed the bike.  If you look closely you'll see the haze of dried wax yet to be polished. Kind of a different view.

Yesterday while working in Corvallis I parked under a large shaded area.

Something caused me to look up and I noticed how the branches seem to be leaning toward the sun. These old trees make a nice big shade canopy.

Before leaving Corvallis I like to stop at Great Harvest Bread to get something before hitting the road for home.  Instead of taking the Interstate I took the country way through small towns.  I happened to get behind a guy on a cruiser bike.  Out in the country we rode at a good pace but in the towns he went pretty slow and kept a large distance away from the car in front of him.  I try to learn what I can from these experiences.  I realized that I tend to drift in a little too close sometimes when following traffic.  The obvious problem with this is when traffic stops suddenly.  The other issue, which I don't think of as often as I should, is road debris.  It's harder to see and react when following too closely.

This was today behind one of the hospitals I visit.  It would have been nice if I could have gotten the bike in that lift.  Looks like it's waiting in line for the next ride.

Today I had lunch at a mall.  While walking back to the bike I noticed the light gently bouncing off the back wheel.  This shot looks a little lonely but in my humble opinion the mall is actually a happy place.  The sun didn't show up today so everything had the Northwest shade of gray. 

Just some doodling with the camera while on two wheels.

God's speed.




11 comments:

  1. Good post Mike, You are always looking out for that photo oppurnity which is great. Following too close can be dodgy, especialy as bikes dont stop as quick as cars, but I am sure you know that. I am always looking at other riders and seeing how they are doing things, sometimes I dont agree, other times i learn from them. Learning to decipher between the good and the bad is what i am learning.

    Keep the pics coming I always enjoy them.
    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike
    As Roger said, always look forward to your posts. You have a superb eye for unusual angles and lighting effects.

    Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm stuck on those X's of those table legs... those are fun. Glad you had a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roger,
    I do that too while riding near other riders. I look for helpful tips that can improve riding skills. I watch the police on motorcycles too.

    Thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geoff,
    Thank you also for your words of encouragement. It means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stacey,
    We see things alike. Those X's are almost distracting to me. :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting shots.even the ones on color look like B&W. I especially like the one looking up into the trees. Nice to be able to ride during the workday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Richard,
    Thank you. It is nice to ride during the workday, especially when the weather is nice. It's nice seeing others out on two wheels. I think the number of riders grows each year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are some great pictures in this post. Riding too close is something a lot of us suffer from and I have to put my hand up for doing that occasionally. It is a dumb thing to do really, as over a given stretch of road of say a mile, you get to the other end just a second or so later if you leave a bigger gap. That second could cost you many years of pain and suffering if it all goes horribly wrong. Thanks for the reminder and when on the bike later today, I will borrow what you have been thinking about and apply it to my riding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gary,
    Thank you for stopping by and your comment! It's good that we keep these bad riding habits that some of us are susceptible to on the table as reminders. Your point about the difference in time lost from keeping a good distance is so true and it puts this issue in perspective. The risk of serious injury or death is not worth it.

    I hope you had a good ride today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for taking the time to share these great photos with us. I enjoy the posts that you provide and they are always enjoyable. Have a wonderful rest of your day.
    Greg Prosmushkin

    ReplyDelete